Sarah's Child

Because of my interest in World War II and the books I write, this trip to Eastern Europe was important to me. There were many really good and fun times, but also those that were sad and poignant, but I needed to see these places. I wrote "Sarah's Child" in 1995 while living in Santa Barbara and have tweaked it for all these years. It is finally being published, so now I can leave it alone and consider it finished. Sarah is a character I invented who was a Danish Jew and sent to Theresienstadt. She survived the war but just barely. This story is about her. While visiting that concentration camp, I cried for Sarah, even though she is fictitious. To me she is very real and I came to love her.
The surroundings are just what I would have imagined they were and I think she is symbolic of all the other people that were sent there. The book is coming out in about three months.
While at Auschwitz, we met a survivor who told us his horrific story. He now works for the museum there and is about 85, I believe. He lived in Auschwitz for five years, and lost all his family there. Because he was young and worked (at slave labor), he survived.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home